If you love a particular television show, chances are you’ll watch it whenever you can, even if the only episodes you can get your hands on are reruns. There’s something about rediscovering old seasons of our favorite TV shows that makes us feel comforted and entertained.
Many who grew up in the 1990s would argue that Friends was one of the best shows on television—and its comedy is timeless. Naturally, it contributed plenty of jokes to pop culture during its 10-year tenure.
Still, even the most devoted fan of Friends might not know these 20 behind-the-scenes secrets…
- Matthew Perry and Lisa Kudrow don’t watch the reruns: For Lisa Kudrow, it depends on her mood. If she’s in a bad mood, then that means she doesn’t want to have to look at herself on screen!
- They were ready to stop the show: The cast now all agrees that if they had to do things again, they would have finished the show after season 10 rather than going on with more episodes, even though the show was so successful.
- Matt LeBlanc’s hair wasn’t really black: That’s right, Joey’s signature black locks didn’t come naturally to Matt LeBlanc, who had already started to go gray when the show began shooting. He had to dye his hair throughout the run of the series.
- The poker episode is based on real events: In one of the most popular episodes of the show, the girls all learn how to play poker. It was inspired by the girls of the cast actually learning how to play poker on the set!
- Matt LeBlanc seriously injured himself: In the beloved episode “The One Where No One Is Ready,” Matt LeBlanc had to wear a sling on his arm because he actually injured himself doing a pratfall during shooting.
- The cast is friends in real life: The cast recently revealed that, for the first few seasons, they would meet at each other’s houses and watch the episodes as they aired. They loved spending time together both on and off the set!
- Lisa Kudrow was really pregnant: During the show, Lisa Kudrow’s character, Phoebe, became pregnant, acting as a surrogate for her brother. This was done to explain Kudrow’s own real-life pregnancy. (Though, unlike Phoebe, she wasn’t pregnant with triplets!)
- Matthew Perry predicted their success: In an episode where Matthew Perry had to shoot all of his scenes separately from the group, he was able to observe just how good they really were. In that moment he knew the show would be a hit.
- Courteney Cox credits one person for helping her create her character: Believe it or not, Courteney Cox says that it was Matthew Perry who really helped her make Monica into the character who she became on the show!
- Matthew Perry wasn’t the first choice for Chandler: While Matthew Perry was auditioning to play Chandler, so were many of his other real-life friends! He even gave them tips to help them nail the audition. However, at the end of the day, he was the only real choice.
- Jennifer Aniston hated her famous haircut: When Jennifer Aniston got this famous layered haircut that was quickly named “The Rachel,” fans everywhere just couldn’t get enough. However, she actually hated the cut. She said it was impossible to style!
- They all got stage fright: Shooting in front of a live audience wasn’t an easy thing for even the most experienced actors on the set. The cast has revealed that even famous guest stars got shy performing in front of a live house.
- Lisa Kudrow was super forgetful: Although this hilarious actress had no problem remembering stuff like all of the lines she was required to memorize, she had a really hard time remembering even the last names of the actors on the show!
- Courteney Cox didn’t love her character: While there’s no denying that Courteney Cox knocked it right out of the park when it came to her character, Monica, she admitted that she wasn’t always in love with her character, whom she sometimes found annoying.
- David Schwimmer is responsible for their big paychecks: By the end of the series, members of the cast were each making $1 million an episode. It was David Schwimmer who suggested that the cast band together to ask for their wages.
- “Shiny Happy People” by REM was the original choice for the theme song: REM’s popular tune opened the bouncy pilot when the show was still called Friends Like Us. Isn’t it crazy to imagine this alternate version of the show?
- The apartments’ numbers were initially “4” and “5”: The producers realized that those numbers suggested the apartments were on the lower floors and changed them to “19” and “20” since the apartments were clearly higher up in the building.
- We only find out four of the characters’ middle names throughout the seasons: Chandler Muriel Bing, Rachel Karen Green, Ross Eustace Geller, and Joseph Francis Tribbiani, Jr. We know Monica’s middle name begins with an “E.” Phoebe has a middle name, but she couldn’t find out what it was because her sister Ursula sold her birth certificate.